Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Growing Our Health in Cold and Flu Season

Since my last post I will confess that I have stunted attempts to avoid catching any of the bugs my fellow coworkers had previously succumbed to during this heightened
cold and flu season. Engaging in regular exercise has been shown to support a good immunity so we can protect ourselves from getting more than one cold per year which is common for most people and a sign of health. I have not kept up with my regular exercise intensity: only doing 2-3 days of walking the past two weeks. This is a significant drop from running 2-3 5Ks a week at 8 minute mile pace. I am making a come back, using a second defense. I am fighting my cold with nutrition: consuming plenty of fresh fruit like oranges; veggies like raw carrots and sauteed brussel sprout leaves (the leaves are sweeter tasting than the actual sprouts); omega 3 oils from flax and salmon; and herbal teas by Yogi, namely from its Cold Season Sampler (Throat Comfort and Echinacea Immune Support). These food nutrients have also been known to boost and support the immune system. How thankful I am for the benefit of knowledge and nutrition practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter